Barnard Grove Primary School
EYFS - Early Years Foundation Stage
Every child deserves the best possible start in life and the support that enables them to fulfil their potential. Children develop quickly in the early years and a child’s experiences between birth and age five have a major impact on their future life chances. In the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), we aim to create a place where children can explore, meet new friends, be safe and adventurous. We value each child as a unique individual and provide a balance of child initiated and adult led activities.
Research shows that young children learn best through play, with skilled adults to talk to, think with and learn from. We offer a rich and varied curriculum covering the six areas of learning, indoors and outdoors.
The six areas of learning are:
• Personal, Social and Emotional (attitudes, self-confidence, self-esteem, relationships, social skills, behaviour and self-control, self-care, community)
• Communication, Language and Literacy (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
• Problem Solving, Reasoning and Numeracy (number, calculating, shape, space and measure)
• Knowledge and Understanding of the World (investigating, exploring, designing, ICT, history, place, communities and culture)
• Physical (movement and space, health and bodily awareness, using equipment and materials)
• Creative (responding to experiences, expressing and communicating ideas, exploring media and materials, creating music and dance, developing imagination and imaginative play).
Play underpins everything we do in the EYFS. Through play we learn. It allows children to explore, develop and represent experiences and helps them to make sense of the world.
Take a look at DEVELOPMENT MATTERS
Barnard Grove Primary School, Hartlepool, TS24 9SD Telephone: (01429) 230300